For adrenaline junkies, there are several destinations in the Caribbean that will be “must visit” destinations. Adventures range from zip lining through the rainforest canopy to caving through miles of underground tunnels and caverns to rock climbing on vertical rock faces surrounded by jungle. And if that’s not enough to keep you going, what about some of the most challenging hiking and mountain biking, white water rafting and river kayaking, and scuba diving in wrecks, through undersea caves, down vertical coral faces and amidst volcanic ruins and landscapes?
- Costa Rica. A country that is covered almost entirely in rainforest with many zip line adventures, challenging caving with qualified guides and hiking on rugged mountains through virgin rainforest.
- Dominica. A very mountainous rugged country comprised of several volcanoes, one of the highest fresh water lakes in the world, a boiling lake and hiking with qualified guides that will challenge even the fittest and most accomplished of hikers. Explore Morne Diablotins (4747 ft) on a multi-day hike not for the feint of heart. Scuba dive on volcanic landscapes in the Scotts Head Marine Park.
- Jamaica. A well known and popular destination for beaches, but the island is also home to white water rafting expeditions, caving, hiking and mountain biking that will satisfy the cravings of even the most avid adventure tourist. Explore the mountains of Cockpit Country, mountain bike in the Blue Mountains, caving trips to the Deeside Roaring River Cave at certain times of the year only if you pass the physical requirements and restrictions, or explore the more accessible Peterkin Cave.
- Guyana. An oft forgotten country when it comes to adventure, but Guyana is home to some of the largest and wildest rivers in the world. Multi and single day hiking and wildlife watching tours to Kaiteur Falls, Baganara Island, the Rupuni and the interior will satisfy adventure travelers. Travel on foot, horseback or 4 wheel drive vehicle. Tours to Mount Roraima, Orinduik Falls and Lethem, plus river trips, camping trips and fishing trips on the Essequibo River.
- Belize. Thought of mainly as a destination for scuba diving in the Blue Hole, beach vacations to Ambergris Caye or visits to the rainforest and Mayan ruins, Belize also offers incredible caving, hiking, kayaking and scuba diving – the vertical walls of the Blue Hole are enough to intrigue any scuba diver. Multi-day and single day hiking trips in the rainforest and to Mayan ruins, plus kayaking on fast flowing rivers and zip lining through the rainforest canopy are enough to satisfy traveling adventurers.
So, what are you waiting for? Time to plan that next trip to adventure!